12 Jan Chicken Parmesan Bites
Ok, this recipe was a show stopper!!!! Honestly a family favourite! Easy to make and SOOO good left over. I made these especially so that I could prep them in advance for my family’s lunches last week. The bites were perfect to have as left overs for 4 days! I would give them hands down an “11/10!” A++!!!!! This recipe came from my new “Dashing Dish” cookbook by Katie Farrell. Love this book so far!
1 cup of frozen spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
1 small onion, finely chopped (I used a sweet onion)
1 tsp fresh garlic, minced
1 pound lean ground chicken
2 large eggs
1 cup canned diced tomatoes drained (I used Alymer, petite-cut tomatoes with celery & green pepper)
1/4 cup old fashioned oats
3/4 cup fresh grated parmesan cheese (divided)
1/2 tsp dried basil
1/2 tsp dried oregano
1/8 tsp salt
Pinch of black pepper
1 cup marinara or spaghetti sauce
Fresh or dried parsley for garnish (*optional)
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
2. Line a 12-cup muffin tin with parchment paper liners and spray lightly with cooking spray (coconut oil cooking spray is preferred). Silicon liners lightly sprayed also work well.
3. In a small frying pan, saute the spinach, onions, and garlic over medium heat until the onions are translucent. Remove from stove and let mixture cool to room temperature.
4. In a large bowl combine the ground chicken, spinach mixture, eggs, diced tomatoes (drained), oats, 1/2 cup Parmesan, basil, oregano, salt and pepper. *Don’t over mix or the meat will get tough.
5. Divide mixture among the muffin cups. You want about 1/4 cup of mixture into each muffin cup.
6. Top each muffin with 2 TBSP of the marina sauce and sprinkle the remaining 1/4 cup Parmesan among the 12 muffins.
7. Bake for 35-40 minutes or until each mini muffin, reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees and is no longer pink in the middle. My thermometer is broken so I just did the old fashioned, “cut one in half.” Remove from the oven and allow the meat to rest for 5 minutes before slicing (oops!) or serving. Garnish with parsley for fun!
***If you are following the 21 Day Fix program, I would count 2 of these mini muffins as (1) red container. There wouldn’t be enough spinach/onion or even marinara sauce to merit counting any part of a green, purple or even tsp container, but that is just my opinion. 🙂